A Time and A Place Residency


A Time and A Place took place over the first two weeks of February at Site Gallery. This mini residency saw Site Gallery turn the entire space over to 10 artists who either work with participation or wanted to explore ways of including participation within their practice. Artists of a variety of disciplines submitted a proposal for a mini project.

I was selected to take part in the project. The two weeks started with a three day workshop exploring all things participatory led by Ania Bas, Kate Genever and Steve Pool. Then followed the two week residency. I used the opportunity to chat to people over knitting, crocheting and pompom making. Often in my practice during skills based workshops conversation turns to memories of craft: family members who were makers, professionally, as a hobby or necessity; peoples past experiences of making and so on. These memories are an unplanned occurrence of the workshops and I do not get a chance to document them. I used the residency to explore ways of documenting these memories, how I could use them in future work and how my work could fit into a gallery context.

One of the best things about the residency being in the company of other artists (I usually work freelance and in the studio alone when I am not doing workshops), with time to discuss ideas and a chance to collaborate. I worked with sound artist Adam Denton to record the sound of knitting needles and wool. I worked with Steve Anwar to devise a meditation session which explored the meditative qualities of knitting. Abi Goodman and I visited locations outside the gallery to chat to people in different contexts. And I worked with fellow Yorkshire Artspace artist Lyn Carruthers to write and perform a ‘wool chant’ inspired by a knitting chant that she created previously and based on snippets of conversations I had had with people during the week.

The result of my residency was a sound piece of collated conversations, knitting sounds and the wool chant. Alongside an interactive installation where people could listen to and record their own craft histories. The residency was a fantastic opportunity to explore new areas of my practice and meet and work with new artists and has provided my with plenty of fresh ideas and inspiration.

A Time and A Place Blog: http://blog.sitegallery.org/atimeandaplace/