Saturday 11/02/12: Project day 5


Today was my last day of the A Time and a Place residency. Stu came in to help me get the jar lids screwed to the shelf so I could set up the display/ station to represent my project when I am away next week.


At 4 I Lyn, Hannah and I sat down with Heather, a MFA student from Hallam who happened to be in the gallery at the time, sat down to try out the wool chant that Lyn had devised from snippets of stories I have been told over the week. The chant has four parts.

Part one, Heather: Peruvian, English, German, Irish Cottage knitting

Part two, Hannah: Pom pom, chick! Pom pom, chick!

Part three, Ruthie: Hated flippin jumpers! Hated flippin jumpers! Now I wish someone would knit me one. Now I wish someone would knit me one.

Part four, Lyn: Sister knitted yellow scarf, common thread between them. Sister knitted yellow scarf, common thread between them.


We recorded the chant together and then the parts separately for Lyn to edit later. The lines and melodies worked really well together and it was totally different to anything we'd done all week.



At 5 we invited anyone in the gallery to join us in a performance. People were shy to join in but some watched and Abi, Smizz and Steve joined in the chant. It was a really fun, unifying experience to perform together and it felt like a real celebration of the stories that were told. Heather who joined in the chant said: 'I love it when random unexpected things like this happen!'


This is how the finished display looked. I will upload the sound when I figure out how to!









'The words text and textile come from the same Latin origin: textere: to weave.'



The listening post includes an invitation to knit or crochet while you listen to the memories recorded and a pin board for participants to add their own memories to in my absence.